Number of people Enlightened

Sunday 2 December 2012

ENGINE DESIGNATIONS AND MEANING


ENGINE DESIGNATIONS AND MEANING

We always hear this statement or tell others that:
"oh i have workd on 6S50MCC engine on my last ship"  or "my last ship was propelled by SULZER RTA68-7-flex engine"

Now do we really understand what the above statement means or what are we talking about?

We have worked on different types of MAN and Sulzer engines in the past and will continue to do so.
We have come across so many engine designations and types in our past, but how many of us know exactly what these designations mean?  This post mainly deals with Engine Designations and what story they tell us about that particular Engine.

P.S. - this post is dealing with only MAN and Sulzer make engines.

MAN B&W Engines

Below picture illustrates MAN B&W Engine Designations.
P.S.  We are not dealing with the old designations of EE, FF, GF, GFCA, GB as these types of engines are now getting obsolete.
Picture explains it all so no further description is required.






























Now that we have Learnt about MAN B&W Engines, lets now take a look at Sulzer Engines.

SULZER ENGINES

Unlike MAN B&W engines, Sulzer Designations do not have any technical meaning but simply kept as an easily recognised identifier for the Sulzer low-speed engines.
The letter "R" in the RD, RND, RND..M, RLA, RLB, RTA and RT-flex engine types, goes back to the Sulzer RSD two-stroke, low-speed engine types introduced in the 1950's. The letter "R" stood for "REVIDIERTER" which is a german word for "REVISED".  During this period SD engines were "REVISED", and so were denoted with letter "R" and called RSD.  Then in 1956 RSAD engines were introduced which were the turbocharged versions.

However as of today letter R has lost any connotation with "REVISED" and now is simply kept as an easily recognised identifier for Sulzer low-speed engines.
When electronically-controlled common rail systems were introduced in 1998, the designation RTA was adopted to RT-flex to emphasise the key feature of "FLEXIBILITY" given to the new type of technology.
Also RTA engines represent uni-flow scavenged engines (with exhaust valve). So now if somebody talks about SULZER RTA68-7 then it simply means -
 SULZER RTA -  uni-flow scavenged engine (with exhaust valve)
68 - Diameter of Piston (in cm)
7 - Number of Cylinders

So now if some body asks you or tells you "oh i have worked on 6s50mcc engine on my last ship"  or "my last ship was propelled by SULZER RTA68-7-flex engine"  you now know the answer.



11 comments:

  1. The gains I've really gained close to an column inch and a half too, all thanks to male enhancement through jelqing. The Sizing Genetics twist is promised land sent for the sizing of my medallion, and it seems pretty tough. Even though it's extra distance or width topper method acting for
    male enhancement.

    Also visit my web page - site

    ReplyDelete
  2. i had worked on 6RT flex 50 B ...
    i know the meaning of rest just wanted to know what is the meaning of B?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 7rta72u-b what is the meaning of u-b

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for writing such a good article, I stumbled onto your blog and read a few post. I like your style of writing... Caterpillar Marine Diesel Engine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'M NOW FULFILL FINANCIALLY BECAUSE OF THE LOAN I GOT FROM LFDS .I would like to bring this to the notice of the public about how i came in contact with LFDS after i lost my job and being denied loan by my bank and other financial institution due to my credit score. I could not pay my children's fees. I was behind on bills, about to be thrown out of the house due to my inability to pay my rent, It was during this period my kids were taken from me by foster care. Then i set out to seek for funds online where i lost $3,670 that i borrowed from friends which i was rip off by two online loan companies. Until i read about:Le_Meridian Funding Service  (lfdsloans@outlook.com / lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com) somewhere on the internet, Still wasn't convince because of what i have been through until a relative of mine who is a clergy also told me about the ongoing loan scheme of LFDS at a very low interest rate of 1.9%% and lovely repayment terms without penalty for default of payment. I have no choice than to also contact them which i did through text +1-989-394-3740 and Mr Benjamin responded back to me That day was the I'M best and greatest day of my life which can never be forgotten when i receive a credit alert of $400,000.00 Usd loan amount i applied for. I utilized the loan effectively to pay up my debts and to start up a business and today i and my kids are so happy and fulfill. You can as well contact them through email: (lfdsloans@outlook.com / lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com)  WhatsApptext  helpline: +1-989-394-3740 Why am i doing this? I am doing this to save as many that are in need of a loan not to be victim of scams on the internet. Thanks and God bless you all, I'm Oleksander Artem from Horizon Park BC , Ukrain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SULZER 7RTA 52U
    What is the meaning of u

    ReplyDelete
  7. Akasaka mitsubishi 6UEC50LA what is the meaning for LA

    ReplyDelete
  8. 12RT FLEX 96C-B TIER II FULLFORM

    ReplyDelete